Sahara Welfare Foundation (SWF)
An Emotional Commitment towards Society
- SWF is a non-profit company registered under section 25 of the Company Act, 1956; (now section 8 in the amended Act, 2013) is engaged in making constant endeavours for social upliftment and development.
- From 1997, welfare initiatives aimed at socially and economically marginalized people & communities - irrespective of age, caste, class, gender or race – for bringing about improvement in their overall standard of living which eventually would lead to their dignified and respectful life.
- SWF, a self-financed entity, utilizes 25% of the total profit of Sahara India Pariwar for social welfare and CSR initiative.
CSR and Social Welfare Initiatives undertaken by Sahara Welfare Foundation are as follows:
Besides the above, Social Welfare Foundation has also engaged in many
other welfare and CSR initiatives aimed at supporting communities in need.
- Relief and Rehabilitation
- Gujarat Earthquake Relief: Sahara Gram
- Emotionally adopted Bhimasar Chakasar village in Bhuj district in 2001
- Constructed 839 houses for earthquake victims
- Kargil Martyrs
- 272 families of Kargil Martyrs adopted to provide economic and emotional & educational support.
- Mumbai Martyrs
- Financial assistance equivalent to 5 times of their last drawn salary, provided to the 18 families of Mumbai Martyrs’ for 10 years.
- Rehabilitation Centres for Divyangs
- 2 centres established at Lucknow and Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh.
- Over 25,500 differently abled persons have benefited
- Latur Earthquake Relief – Sahara Wadi
- Earthquake resistant houses constructed for survivors of Latur Earthquake.
- Houses handed over to the residents of the village by the 'Ambassador of Humanity' Nobel Laureate and Saint Mother Teresa.
- Flood and Draught Relief Operations
- Flood being the most rampant cause of many National Disasters, our organisation has pro-actively responded providing necessary men and material support.
- 1.5 million people benefited over the last 20 years.
- Uttarakhand Relief
- VEDAS, was the first corporate foundation team to intervene and provide aid to the victims.
- Relief materials such as food packets, drinking water, temporary shelter, blankets, sleeping bags and health beverages provided to over 25,000 people.
- Medical relief to over 5000 victims provided by a fleet of 15 Mobile Health Units.
- Dantewara Martyrs’ family assistance
- Financial assistance was given to the families of the brave CRPF Jawans who lost their lives during the attack by the Naxalites in the forests of Mukrana in Dantewada district of Chhattisgarh.
- Education and Health
- Sakshar Bharat
- Quality education to underprivileged children and adults of urban slums, with the purpose to improve their overall personality and make them aware of Civic & Social issues
- Over 12,000 children benefitted so far.
- Over 1,500 new scholarships given annually to needy talented students, including scholarship initiatives for budding sportspersons.
- Jan Swasthya Project (Urban Slums)
- Health care to the urban slum dwellers and their families - successfully converged with the national programs of the Government of India.
- 1.155 million people (approximately) benefitted so far.
- Pulse Polio
- Sahara Welfare Foundation has been participating in the Nation's Flagship Program-Pulse Polio Immunization since 1997.
- Over 2 lakh children have been vaccinated in this program.
- NCC Scholarship
- For the first time in India, a private group has come forward with a scholarship program to encourage young NCC cadets.
- To acknowledge and award young NCC cadets for their discipline and sense of social service.
- Stipends and incentives to over 980 cadets
- Mobile Health Units
- Medical care extended to nearly 6.02 million patients with 33 Mobile Health Units across 1,025 villages in 28 districts in 4 states. Now, 20 blocks in six districts of UP and Maharashtra are being covered. 12 villages/semi-urban area in each block is being covered.
- Includes disaster relief to 20,000 people and over 12,500 referrals to Government Hospitals
- Behaviour Change Communication
- Medical Care & counselling extended to nearly 8,500 children.
- Social Security Scheme
- Financial assistance to death victim’s immediate family who are above 18 years of age and listed in voter list of Lucknow, Gorakhpur & Pune.
- (a) Promotion of Sports & Games and for the Underprivileged
- Promotion of Sports & Games through BCCI
- Common Wealth Games - Winners Award
- Promotion of Sports amongst disabled and rural youth
(b) Social Enterprise & Welfare
- Developing Self-Help Groups and R&D for Jute production
- Programs in Education, Health, Social & Cultural causes undertaken.
- Civic Construction
- Massive construction activities undertaken in several cities that add to civic development
- Construction, Renovation and Maintenance of Cremation grounds (Baikunth Dham) at six places at Bhainsakund and Alam Bagh at Lucknow, Gorakhpur, Ayodhya, Patna and Vidyanchal
- Bharat Ma Naman Sthal at Muzaffarpur in Bihar and Mount Abu in Rajasthan, Parks,
- Renovation of Memorials of Freedom Fighters such as Pundit Ram Prasad Bismil, Shaheed Smark, Ghazipur, Shaheed Khudi Ram Bose Smark, Muzaffarpur
- Parks like Prerna Park,Sankalp Vatika and Sankalp Upvan at Lucknow as well as Sankalp Udyan at Gorakhpur
- Village Arterial Roads and Crossings like Sankalp Sthal and J P Chowk at Gorakhpur, Beria Chowk at Muzaffarpur, Sankalp Chowk at Hardoi also undertaken
- Drinking water and sanitation projects also undertaken at Lavkush locality of Indira Nagar as well as East Bengal Refugee Society, Daliganj, Lucknow
- Village Esteem Development Adoption by Sahara (VEDAS), was a flagship project of Sahara India Pariwar for Rural Development, adopting target villages for overall development
- Initiatives includes Public/Primary Health Care Services, Joyful Qualitative Education,
Empowerment programs in Skill Development & Agriculture, Providing Safe Drinking Water & maintenance of water resources, Awareness on proper Sanitation & Personal Hygiene, Programs on Safe Migration
- VEDAS Handshake with Ex-servicemen– another initiative with the objective of providing them and their dependents meaningful employment and empowering the disadvantaged.
- Skill Development Initiatives (Empowerment)
- Until December 2018, centre was operated from Sahara Arts and Management Academy premises.
Now it is operational from Rudahi village. It caters to the vocational skills of the youth residing in the nearby semi-urban and rural areas. It was funded by the M/s Sahara India Life Insurance Company Ltd from April 2016 to March 2018 as part of its CSR program. Subsequently, it has continued the activities that were initiated for Sahara India Life Insurance Company Ltd.
- Computer proficiency imparted to over 625 poor youth (male and female) in Lucknow. The syllabus of this course is duly recognized by UPDESCO.
- 1175 adolescent girls and women have been trained in vocational skills like sewing and embroidery as well as application of mehendi art and paper bag making.
- Scholarship to the poor but meritorious girl students of the state of Uttar Pradesh. Under this, 702 girls studying from Class VI to Class XII have been covered and provided financial assistance of ?11,000 each to pursue their studies.
- Over 500, 000 plant saplings distributed in different institutions of Lucknow to promote the cause of forestation
Aside from the ongoing programs, the following schemes are also being envisaged for implementation
- In collaboration with the Jan Shikshan Sansthan, Lucknow, skill development programs in four trades- computer application, tailoring and embroidery, beautician and processed food are to be implemented.
- Short duration environment sensitization and education program for elementary school children in the selected schools of the Bakshi Ka Talab block, Lucknow
- Promotion of Family Values
Samuhik Vivah Samaroh
- The Samaroh witnessed 'Kanyadaan' to over 1,111 underprivileged girls of the society for the last 11 year.